Re: Backup Software Question

Subject: Re: Backup Software Question
From: Harald Wagener (hwagener@fcb-wilkens.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 04:47:02 EDT

Chris Garrigues wrote:

> > From: Christian Schmidt <ChriSchmiLi@gmx.de>
> > Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:52:13 +0200

[snip]
> > Well, a backup stored on a HD isn't a real backup IMHO, is it?
> > What if your backup-HD crashes?
>
> what if your tape becomes unreadable?

well, too bad, I hope You check Your backups regularly for consitstence and
functionality.

There are numbers for stuff like how often can a tape be written to and read
from(depends on the model).

> How is a backup on a hard disk not a backup?

It's not a _real_ backup. It's a redundant storage with identical points of
failure. Since hard discs are random access media, they can also be randomly
deleted. This is harder with tapes that are handled properly, i.e. stored in a
fire proof water sealed safe off site.

Secured tapes, even if they are stored in the same room as the machine being
backed up, are also less affected by power surges or other electrical
instabilities (as long as the sparks don't fly...).

It is also easier to replace the read/write mechanism (i.e., the drive) when using
a tape backup solution than it is with a hard disk.

So, if You take care of Your backups, there is a significant decrease in Your
chances of losing data. Nothing of this is foolproof, nonetheless.

H.

--
Harald Wagener      |                                Systemadministrator
FCB/Wilkens GmbH    |                              Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252