Re: netatalk search volume

Subject: Re: netatalk search volume
From: Thomas Kaiser (Thomas.Kaiser@phg-online.de)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 02:54:23 EDT

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:01:00 -0700 (PDT), Jeff Masud wrote:

> I'm having a couple of issues with our netatalk server, maybe someone can
> give ideas.

Please supply Netatalk version and the os you use.

> 1. We are unable to search a 100GB volume, it gos and goes and goes... for
> about 5 mins and the returns an error. Is there any way to index the
> server like how Watson index the local drive for faster searching?

Since AFP 2.1 (if I remember correctly) there exists a feature called
FPCatSearch. If a Mac mounts a servers volume it gets the information
whether this volume will support FPCatSearch or not.

If it supports FPCatSearch then the clients search criteria will be passed
to the afp server and will be answered by him from information stored in a
volume database.

AFAIK, Netatalk doesn't support FPCatSearch at the moment, so your clients
finder have to run through the whole volume on its own, to search for files
matching your search criteria.

> 2. When I go to use Retrospect to backup the file server remotely,
> Retrospect 4.3 will index the server display a list but as it starts to
> run will return an error "Too many files open (-43)".

Under which MacOS version are you running Retrospect? There are some issues
with versions before MacOS 9.x and running out of file handles. Check it
with the ListOpenFiles Utility: <http://www.alsoft.com/AskAl/download.html>

I don't know if it has something to do with the way, RetroSpect tries to
check what to backup. With Helios EtherShare you can support a switch
"nofakeoffspring" when trying to backup from a Mac. This prevents RetroSpect
from giving up before backupping when your volume is full of folders.

There were some problems reported on volumes with a lot of files with custom
icons.

> The server is running a RAID but it's really import we can do DLT backups to
> archive old projects.

... and maybe to backup recent projects too? ;-)

Regards,

Thomas