Re: Thank you.

Subject: Re: Thank you.
From: Ryan McBeth (rmcbeth@mobiusnm.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 10:55:34 EDT

Scott,

        IMHO, there *won't* be much use for netatalk after a few
years. Not next year, but probably by 2003. Yes, some schools will
still be running old Macs and they will run Netatalk, heck, some
schools are probably still running Apple ][e's.
        Don't forget that OS X isn't like another revision of Mac OS.
There wasn't really that much change between versions of 8 and 9.
But the difference between OS 9 and OS X is huge. I can give you one
possibility. All Adobe would have to do is say that the next version
of Photoshop will only run on OS X, and you are going to see a heck
of a lot of new hardware being bought. All that hardware is going to
come pre-loaded with Mac OS X.

        Netatalk will go the way of Procom or PKzip: Utilities that
were great for the problem at hand, but were rendered less prominant
because of changing technology. Heck, the netatalk developers have
made my life easier. The next time one of you is in Philadelphia,
drop me a line. I'll buy you a beer.

        Ryan

At 10:23 -0400 05/9/2001, Scot McPherson wrote:
>Brice D Ruth wrote:
>>Hi folks.
>>
>>I've been following the netatalk-devel and netatalk-admins list for
>>a while now and been using netatalk even longer. I know there are
>>still problems that need ironing out - things aren't perfect and
>>all, but I wanted to say thank you for a job very well done. Ever
>>since starting to work with Mac OS X, I've had problems with my
>>netatalk server ... I finally grabbed 1.5pre7, compiled it and
>>installed it and everything seems to work now. I'm sure my needs
>>aren't nearly that of some people's, but nevertheless, thank you -
>>you've all done well. Kudos.
>>
>>-Brice Ruth
>>

>Speaking of OS X, how is that going to effect the development of
>netatalk. If OSX is unix, I would see much reason for netatalk
>anymore once all the software has been carbonized and the legacy MAC
>OS's are slowly removed from circulation...
>
>Just curious (i am not a MAC user, but a sys ad in a large
>publication environment)
>

>--
>*************************************
>Scot Mc Pherson, Technology Manager
>The Bradenton Herald
>phone:941-748-0411 x6630
>mailto:smcpherson@bradentonherald.com
>http://www.bradentonherald.com
>
>"Linux is a journey, not a guided tour," ~Scot Mc Pherson

Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
  - Henry Ford