Re: Thank you.

Subject: Re: Thank you.
From: Thomas Kaiser (Thomas.Kaiser@phg-online.de)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 17:46:05 EDT

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001 12:41:48 -0700, Seitz, Matt wrote:

> The client then sends an AppleTalk Filing Protocol (AFP) command on AppleTalk
> to the server, asking for the server's IP address.

Can you explain this a bit please? Using AFP 2.1/2.2, I thought that the
afp-client sends out a FPGetSrvrInfo request. The afp-server answers a lot
of stuff (its name, the uams it supports, etc. and finally a list of
connection methods the servers supports).

Each entry in this list will include

- AFP over AppleTalk or TCP
- address type (ip address + port or FQDN + port or AppleTalk address)
- the real address depending on the address type above

So the afp server provides _every_ connection method it has been configured
to publish.

> If the server responds with an IP address, then the client establishes a
> connection to the server using AFP on DSI/TCP/IP.

I thought that this is the afp-clients decision if the afp connection can be
established by more than one method?

AppleShare clients prior to AFAIR 3.7.4 prefer AFP over AppleTalk (even if
the server says, that it can also 'speak' AFP over TCP). Recent versions do
the opposite. It also depends on whether you hold down the [option] key or
not to force the non-default behaviour.

If the AppleShare clients wants to connect via AFP over TCP then it will try
to ping the servers ip address before trying to establish a connection on
the afp port. If ICMP is filtered between client and server the client will
never attempt to use AFP over TCP and will instantly try to use AFP over
AppleTalk (but you can disable the 'Verify IP address' feature using Apple's
'AppleShare Client Setup' utility)

If the client can ping the server it will try to connect to the afp port on
that server. It will try this until the default timeout will be reached (you
can edit this value also using Apple's utility) and will do a fallback to
AFP over AppleTalk afterwards.

> [...]
>> OS X 10.0 Connect To Server:
>
> Protocols:
> TCP/IP, Service Location Protocol, Data Stream Interface (DSI), AppleTalk
> Filing Protocol (AFP)

MacOS X 10.0 speaks AFP 3.0. And this version only supports AFP over TCP.
No support for AppleTalk any longer (please note also: the definition of AFP
has changed --> these days it should be spoken as 'Apple Filing Protocol' to
avoid confusion with 'AppleTalk') ^^^^^

MacOS X 10.1 will speak AFP 2.2 too, so connections can be established also
via AppleTalk.

Maybe I'm completely wrong. Any input greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thomas