RE: Thank you.

Subject: RE: Thank you.
From: Seitz, Matt (mseitz@snapappliances.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 15:41:48 EDT

>Please help me keep this all straight (newbie!). What protocols
>are used when one connects to a Linux server with:

>OS9 Chooser

Protocols:
Datagram Delivery Protocol (DDP), Name Binding Protocol (NBP), AppleTalk
Transaction Protocol (ATP), AppleTalk Session Protocol (ASP), AppleTalk
Filing Protocol (AFP)

Stacks:
NBP and ATP run on top of DDP. ASP runs on top of ATP. AFP runs on top of
ASP.

   /-NBP
DDP
   \-ATP-ASP-AFP

Semantics:
The OS 9 Chooser uses Name Binding Protocol (NBP) to find servers and
display their names. When a user selects a server in Chooser, the client
uses NBP to get the server's AppleTalk Address. The client then connects to
the server using AFP on ASP/ATP.

>OS9 Chooser Server IP

Protocols:
Datagram Delivery Protocol (DDP), Name Binding Protocol (NBP), AppleTalk
Transaction Protocol (ATP), AppleTalk Session Protocol (ASP), TCP/IP, Data
Stream Interface (DSI), AppleTalk Filing Protocol (AFP)

Stacks:
NBP and ATP run on top of DDP. ASP runs on top of ATP. TCP runs on top of
IP. DSI runs on top of TCP. AFP runs on top of ASP and DSI.

   /-NBP
DDP
   \-ATP-ASP-\
              AFP
  IP-TCP-DSI-/

Semantics:
The OS 9 Chooser uses Name Binding Protocol (NBP) to find servers and
display their names. When a user selects a server in Chooser, the client
uses NBP to get the server's AppleTalk Address. The client then sends an
AppleTalk Filing Protocol (AFP) command on AppleTalk to the server, asking
for the server's IP address. If the server responds with an IP address,
then the client establishes a connection to the server using AFP on
DSI/TCP/IP. If the server does not return an IP address, or the client
fails to connect to the server using AFP on DSI/TCP/IP, then the client
establishes a connection to the server using AFP on ASP/ATP. If the user
types the server's IP address into the Chooser, then the client immediately
connects to the server using AFP over DSI/TCP/IP.

>OS X 10.0 Connect To Server:

Protocols:
TCP/IP, Service Location Protocol, Data Stream Interface (DSI), AppleTalk
Filing Protocol (AFP)

Stacks:
TCP runs on top of IP. DSI and SLP run on top of TCP. AFP runs on top of
ASP and DSI.

        /-SLP
  IP-TCP
        \-DSI-AFP

Semantics:

The OS X 10.0 Connect to Server dialog does not support NBP. Instead, it
uses Service Location Protocol (SLP) to find servers and their IP address.
If your server does not support SLP, you must type in the IP address by
hand. The client will then connect to the AFP server using AFP on
DSI/TCP/IP.

>Windows Network Neighborhood

Protocols:
TCP/IP, Microsoft NetBIOS on TCP/IP (NBT), Microsoft Network Browser
(Browser), Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS), Directory Naming Service
(DNS), Common Internet File System (CIFS) [previously called Server Message
Block (SMB)]

Stacks:
TCP runs on top of IP. Browser, WINS, and DNS run on top of TCP. NBT runs
on top of WINS, DNS, TCP, and IP. CIFS runs on top of NBT.

           |-Browser
     /-TCP-|-WINS-|
  IP |------|-NBT-CIFS
    \ |

Semantics: Network Neighborhood uses the Browser protocol to find and
display server names. When a user selects a server name, NBT uses a
combination of WINS, DNS, and IP broadcasts to find the IP address of the
server. CIFS then uses NBT on top of TCP to connect to the server.