Re: 1.5pre7,OSX and Debian

Subject: Re: 1.5pre7,OSX and Debian
From: Thomas Schierle (ts@visual-s.de)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 21:54:01 EDT

[pm, cc'd to Netatalk-Admins]

On 2001-09-09 16:56 +0200, morganew@mac.com wrote:

> 1. Does 1.5 pre7 work with OSX or do I need to backtrack to an older
> DID module? I am able to use 1.6pre6 to listen to mp3s by adding the
> "hello" to the login, but I can't do anything else (no moving, copying
> or removing files). I am certain this has been asked before, but I can't
> seem to find any kind of up-to date mailing list archive.

basically, accessing a netatalk pre7 share and manipulating, pulling/pushing
files/folders from OS X 10.0.4 against a SuSE 7.2 server works for me.

There are some obnoxious problems with access rights, though.

My configure options are:
--enable-dropkludge --enable-cnid-db --enable-suse --enable-fhs
--with-shadow --with-tcp-wrappers
where I manually applied some patches beforehand to a) accommodate to
changes introduced with SuSE 7.2 and b) get cnid-db working -- thanks
to Joe Clarke!

However, I've had massive trouble with cnid (no data loss, though),
therefore I'd strongly recommend to stay away from cnid for a production
environment at this time.

> 2. Has anyone made a Debian .deb for the new 1.5pre7?

>From what I've read, it should be almost ready. Nevertheless, for advanced
users compiling from source should do better than just throwing some kind of
package at your server.

> 3. If there is no .deb, I need a hand figuring out where the build
> should go. Utilizing the build instructions from anders.com (why is
> this not at the sourceforge site???), it suggests using
> DESTDIR=/usr/local/atalk. The thing is, my current netatalk on my
> debian box is NOT located there. In fact, the only atalk dir I find is
> in /usr/lib/atalk. I have done a dpkg -L netatalk and can see where all
> the files have gone, but I am not really sure if I should remove the old
> 1.5pre6 before installing 1.5pre7, and should I make a dir in
> /usr/local/atatalk?

no idea ... I don't even know why to even use Debian -- no bashing meant,
apparently it is good for some purposes, but nobody told me which they are.
Is it for novices, or eventually for reliable servers with limited
functionality? No idea yet.

I hope this helps to some extent and keeps your trust into the
evolution of netatalk,
-Thomas

--
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers