Re: netatalk won't let me upload large files

Subject: Re: netatalk won't let me upload large files
From: charlie wood (charlie@id-inc.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 15:14:46 EDT

Hi Sebastien,

The error messages are system errors generated when your kernel lacks
AppleTalk support, and your ability to upload large files via ASIP is due to
the successful functionality of afpd, not atalkd. I doubt that your server
even shows up in your Chooser, based upon those error messages, so the
failed large file transfer confuses me slightly.

To get AppleTalk working correctly, you must either recompile your kernel to
include AppleTalk support, or load the AppleTalk module either at boot or
prior to launching atalkd. Here's how:

To check if your kernel supports AppleTalk, use this command:

dmesg | grep AppleTalk

This is the simplest way I can think of to discover if AppleTalk
functionality loaded at boot out of the kernel. If there is no output, then
AppleTalk support is not a part of your current kernel build. Most "modern"
kernels (2.x and greater for Red Hat Linux, for example) have AppleTalk
support built in. Check your kernel version:

uname -r

Now, check your system documentation to see if your kernel version even
supports AppleTalk built in. If it does, then recompile your kernel to
include AppleTalk support. If your kernel does not, you can add AppleTalk
support as a module. This is generally better, because it affords you
control of your AppleTalk services independent of your system. To see if
AppleTalk support is loaded as a module (unlikely, unless you added it), use
this command:

lsmod | grep appletalk

...this will check the list of currently loaded modules for the AppleTalk
module. If you still have no response from your system, then the AppleTalk
module is not loaded. If you have it available on your drive, you can
activate it thus:

insmod <path>/appletalk.o

...where <path> is the path to your system libraries.

RedHat 7.1 keeps the module here:

/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/appletalk/appletalk.o

...on many systems, the module can be found here:

/lib/modules/misc/appletalk.o

...of course you can always:

find / -name appletalk

If it's not available at all on your system, check your install disks and
copy it from there. Failing that, go to the company's website and sniff
around there. Download it, dump it in your modules directory and load it
prior to launching atalkd.

Hope this info helps.

There's also a pretty good tutorial regarding using AppleTalk services under
Linux here:

http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-04/lw-04-uptime.html

cheers,

</charlie>

Charlie Wood

IT Manager
ID, Incorporated
1620 SW Taylor St Suite 100 Portland, OR 97205
{v} 503-223-7737 {f} 503-223-2719
{e} charlie@id-inc.com {w} http://www.id-inc.com