Re: Was my question really that stupid?

Subject: Re: Was my question really that stupid?
From: charlie wood (charlie@id-inc.com)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 13:05:53 EDT

Hi David,

The answer that I have is a yes and a no. It depends entirely on what you
need to do. For example, netatalk has the capability to be either a seed or
a soft seed AppleTalk router, but it does not handle CAP and I do not
believe it is capable of supporting ATIP tunneling, both of which UAR does
if memory serves me correctly.

If all you need to do is route AppleTalk packets between two networks,
netatalk can manage that for you. There are other routing capabilities (such
as soft-seed routing) that netatalk can handle as well, if configured
appropriately.

When you get there (if you decide to go there), netatalk's config files are
fairly simple, with all routing configurations are handled in the
atalkd.conf file. Consult the readme.

I use netatalk1.5pre6 as a seed router in my network, and I'm quite happy
with its function as such.

Other info for you, if you are interested or have the need

There is a good Linux install overview here:

http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-199-04/lw-04-uptime.html

Good AppleTalk routing site, as cited in the netatalk readme:

http://www.neon.com/atalk_routing.html

Hope the info helps.

</charlie>

Charlie Wood

IT Manager
ID, Incorporated
1620 SW Taylor St Suite 100 Portland, OR 97205
{v} 503-223-7737 {f} 503-223-2719
{e} charlie@id-inc.com {w} http://www.id-inc.com