Re: Netatalk + Japanese file names?

Subject: Re: Netatalk + Japanese file names?
From: Deano! (deano@viz.com)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 22:43:04 EDT

> I just tried using OS X and 1.5pre7 under FreeBSD 4.4-RC4 and it doesn't
> work. I was able to type the japanese using the built in Japanese Language
> features that my wife regularly uses, but when I hit the final return to
> finish the filename I got an "exepected error -- returned -36" message.
>
> I doubt that it is an OS X issue though I have not tried OS 9 since I don't
> have Japanese language capabilities on that machine. Both OS X and OS 9
> have worked fine with normal roman letter filename.

Sorry, I should've mentioned my details:

Linux 2.4.8 (redhat 7.1 plus ext3 goodies) on intel
netatalk 1.5pre6-rh7 rpm

Basically, I just hosed myself. someone copied all their japanese files
onto* the server, and so far they still look* okay from her mac, but I'm
paralyzed with fear that they will have issues. I guess the first test
is moving them back* onto a mac successfully... Anyway, this has* to be
a fairly common issue... At least someone on the list must know the
status/plans for this issue?

-deano

PS - I will give this Ranma DVD box set to whoever can give me netatalk
japanese support:

http://store.viz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DVD-ROBS1&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=1