Re: Netatalk + Japanese file names?

Subject: Re: Netatalk + Japanese file names?
From: Chad Leigh, ObjectWerks, Inc. (chad@objectwerks.com)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 23:47:26 EDT

--On Friday, September 14, 2001 7:43 PM -0700 Deano! <deano@viz.com> wrote:

>> I just tried using OS X and 1.5pre7 under FreeBSD 4.4-RC4 and it doesn't
>> work. I was able to type the japanese using the built in Japanese
>> Language features that my wife regularly uses, but when I hit the final
>> return to finish the filename I got an "exepected error -- returned
>> -36" message.
>>
>> I doubt that it is an OS X issue though I have not tried OS 9 since I
>> don't have Japanese language capabilities on that machine. Both OS X
>> and OS 9 have worked fine with normal roman letter filename.
>>

> Sorry, I should've mentioned my details:
>
> Linux 2.4.8 (redhat 7.1 plus ext3 goodies) on intel
> netatalk 1.5pre6-rh7 rpm
>
> Basically, I just hosed myself. someone copied all their japanese files
> onto* the server, and so far they still look* okay from her mac, but I'm
> paralyzed with fear that they will have issues. I guess the first test
> is moving them back* onto a mac successfully... Anyway, this has* to be
> a fairly common issue... At least someone on the list must know the
> status/plans for this issue?

I tried copying one from OS X onto my pre7 FreeBSD system and got the same
error as trying to create one . Since your user successfully copied them
on to the system, maybe there is hope, since I cannot even do that on my
on-linux system. I will try some tests tomorrow on my Mandrake 8
workstation, onto which I will install 1.5pre7. It may be more an
underlying OS issue, and how their file systems handle it. I don't know
and that is just a guess. Usually linux uses extfs and FreeBSD uses ufs so
there may be some differences there too.

best of luck, wish I could be of more assistance.
Chad