Re: printer spooling...

Subject: Re: printer spooling...
From: Hans Spijkerbosch (spij@oce.nl)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 05:46:37 EST

Richard Goldberg wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Our lab has lots of Macs with a sun server running netatalk for file
> sharing. We have 4 printers set up to accept print jobs directly from
> the macs over apple-talk. We would like to move the printers onto the
> net-atalk server to keep things centralized.
>
> We put them in the papd file and it generally works fine, with the
> exception of a few computers. One running OS 8.1 and one running OSX
> (current beta). We think the problem might have something to do with the
> print jobs needing extra fonts.
>
> Here's a question: How does the spooling process deal with downloading
> fonts to the printer? (I.e. the fonts are on the client computer, the
> printer finds out when it gets the document from the server that it
> needs a couple extra fonts from the client computer, but now its getting
> its info from a spool file on the server, rather than from the client
> computer.

Apple laserwriters performs a 'feature query', in which it ask the
printer lots of questions about the printer itself and a list of the
available fonts.

Knowing this, The laserwriter can setup a desktop printer without
asking what ppd file it must use, and more importantly in your
case, it only download the fonts with each printjob that are not
present on the printer.

I have not digged into the netatalk source code (yet) so I am not
sure about it, but I think this is not implemented.

--Hans Spijkerbosch---