Re: HELP: Request for Information!

Subject: Re: HELP: Request for Information!
From: Marcus Radich (marcus@darena.co.nz)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 05:34:22 EDT

Greetings.

My company supplies IBM x200 servers preconfigured to netatalk and
samba for Mac and PC publishing environments.

Our netatalk drama:
- We were using asun2.13 for a long time, but then with the intro of
the G4 - we had a problem with disconnects. I emailed adrian and he
told me to use 2.14 - he had just solved the disconnect issue with
2.14.
- We installed 2.14 on our problem servers, and it solved the
disconnect issue! Great......but.....then some operators were
complaining that their files were "already open by another user" etc
etc.
- Read through adrian's notes in the ReadMe and found this line:
" byte locks should now work. if you want to enable the old way
         of doing things, add -DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS."
I added this to our compile options - and the Quark 'open' problems went away.
This was all back in late 1999, and we have used asun2.14-37b since.

We have over 30 servers running with this config, and all works well.
We used to have the occasional problem with folders ending up in the
trash - but since switching to ReiserFS - no problems have shown up
(Fingers crossed).

Here is our latest config:
Hardware: IBM x200 e-series, Promise Ultra-100 ide card, IBM Disks.
OS: Mandrake 8.0 with all updates. Software-RAID with ReiserFS.
netatalk version: asun2.14 pre37b
compile options: DEFS= -DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS

Macs:
OS 8.1 through to 9.2.1
Appleshare client 3.8.3 minimum
QuarkXPress 3.32r5 and 4.11

Quark files saved with previews on.

Any tests anyone wants me to run, let me know.

Marcus

--

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer." Marcus Radich 1999